April 1, 2008

Paperwork.

Is anyone else continually amazed at the size and amount of receipts that we now get? And let's leave grocery stores out of it for now (they can be longer than my arm). Let's just take something that would seem really simple, uhh, BlockBuster. And no, I'm not sure anyone actually goes to BlockBuster anymore, but bear with me.

Before I had re-upped my Netflix subscription, I went to BB a couple of times. Not only did the movies cost about $5 each, the two individual receipt tapes that came with my movies were longer than the DVD boxes, and really couldn't have been more useless. I don't save DVD receipts (and we all know how anal I am). I don't think I've ever had to return a rental with proof of it (even the rental clerks can remember I was just there). And you return the movie the next day.

Why do we need so much paper for a $10 transaction? More examples can be found almost everywhere - take your car in for service, 4-5 sheets; eat out, up to two receipts; God forbid you return something at Kohls, 2-3 receipt tapes, all stapled together. And not only is a record of what you bought, it's often some coupons or marketing material stuck in for good measure. I mean, I just BOUGHT something at your store, why do I need more purchasing incentives?

Why can't we, as consumers, have the option for e-receipts for all transactions? You could be asked at checkout how you want your receipt - paper or electronic. If you choose to save a tree limb, they send it to your extra email account (doesn't everyone have at least 2?). Sure, some marketing junk gets sent too, but you were walking out with it stuff in your pockets anyways. And if you ever need the receipt in paper form, print it out.

This isn't rocket science and I've never been confused for some that smart.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.