November 11, 2007

Fish Fry and Riding Weekend...

Family - I'm not sure where to place this topic, but it really is family related... just not mine. I went with Nicole up to Osh Kosh to meet her mom and 2nd hubby. I should have asked more questions prior to Friday night, b/c it turns out I have now met everyone of her 7 sibs save for one brother. I have now even met her grandparents and some aunts and/or uncles. They had a group of about 20, some only attending b/c they heard "fresh blood" was gonna be there. I can't blame 'em either. It was a good WI fish fry, a relaxed time, and unfortunetly, a long night. They don't normally get under way with dinner 'til about 9-9:30PM. And Nicole and I had to drive up & back, which it made it pretty interesting, esp after a fried food dinner {burp}. I'm glad I went, she has a large, excitable group.

Friends - Seems to be pretty low key right now with everyone. Perhaps a brief "catch yer breath" after the last couple weeks. I did get a call from Bret and need to catch up with him. I also sent out a bday invite to everyone for the Turkeyday weekend. It'll be the first up here, and lots of people travel, but if I can get a few, that'll be enough for fun.

Bike - Big news in bike town - I went riding. Yeah, that's right, about 3 hours off-road on a Sunday morning. Now, most of Milwaukee was getting ready for the Packers game... but a co-worker had sent out an email this week for some trails that are almost next to my house. I wanted to get in some riding and meet others. It wasn't too cold out and the group was pretty fast and large (about 12 of us). The trails turned out to be in great shape. Alot of up and down, roots, rocks, and some stinky runoff water spots. But a good loop that I was happy to get a look at with people that have done it before. I'm certainly, horribly out of practice on the MTN bike, but it sort of comes back to you after a half hour or so (kinda like riding...).

To put it over the top, Rachael and John (she's a SRAMmie) came up from Chicago just to ride. It was nice to see them. I'm guessing she'll say something about me on her blog... linked on the leftside of mine ("rachael k"). And just to prove this whole story, that's a new pic of my dirty green Kona. I really did ride. (sorry, cellphone pic)

Work - It's pretty hectic, and will continue to be for some time. We're settling one company into Mil and moving one around in the city. It's keeping me on my toes with all my customers. I'm also trying to plan for the future. It's keeps each week, on the whole, interesting. It should be a busy winter season.

A/R - I just ate the last bit of yogurt out of one of the pint containers, so not the little dingle -single serving sizes, but the BIG one. Before I did, I trimmed off about half of it, as it's too big to really get into with the spoon and I wanted it to be easy to eat out of. Also, I rinse out, thoroughly and with hot water, everything plastic that's going to be recycled. There is one exception, peanut butter jars - it's too tough. I feel bad about it. But, I made up for it a little last night by removing two items Nicole put in the trash, rinsing them, and putting them in the recycling bag. Phew!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing... If you waste too much water rinsing the recycling out, you defeat the purpose (by using more energy than it would have taken to make the container new). I usually try to rinse my stuff out right away, so it doesn't dry on, and do it with the sprayer (higher velocity streams, such as those that come out of the sprayer, seem to dislodge stuff better than the faucet itself) so I only use a v small amount of water. For peanut butter, I usually wait until I've washed dishes, and put the hot, soapy waste water in the PB jar and let it sit for a while. Then it rinses right out -Secret AR Person

Victoria said...

mom would be proud of your rinsing/recycling :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing your part. I heard on NPR on Friday that the average American produces 4 1/2 pounds of garbage per day. That makes at least two of us who don't.

Glad things are going well up yonder in Wisconsin.

Go Illini!

Anonymous said...

I'd say the average Chicago Bears player produces 3 1/2 quarters of garbage every Sunday, so that pretty much cancels out whatever recycling might be getting done up at Halas Hall. Seriously, this team stinks.

Thank heavens for the Illini. Did y'all watch that game? Holy Macaroni!

.mk. said...

I just soaked the PB container today. Though, leaving a PB container in the sink to soak is against some of my A/R tendencies.

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.