June 14, 2008

If the devil was made into a snack cake.

I generally consider myself to be fairly iron-stomached. That is, I can eat almost anything (within reason... and without reason) and not be too badly affected. I've eaten lots of things "on a dare", many of which you're aware of (and if you're not, I prob shouldn't rehash it... ooh, corned beef hash). The ping-pong ball-sized hunk of wasabi was still probably one of the worst, but I won't be doing that again anytime soon. Unless it's for $6, cash.

Having said all that, is it any wonder that I ignored the friendly warning of "Don't eat them all, they'll hurt your stomach"? I'd had my eye on the Cakester for some time, being of fan of novel foods. So when I got to my local Walgreen's register for the 2nd time in as many weeks and they were *still* 3 for $2, I had to buy. How could I not? Mind you, this is 3 packs, each pack containing 3 small cakes. I got 2 Oreo and one newer Nilla variety.

I know what you're thinking - "Gosh, those sound *good*, mk!" Don't believe it.


These are the devil of snack cakes.

After having 2 little Oreo cakes and 1 little Nilla cake mid-morning the other day, I could not help but feel recharged by the massive amounts of sugar surging through my veins. So much so, that I had trouble concentrating (more than normal) and I think I even started to sweat in strange places. After that subsided, the stomach pains began. It was like I had eaten moldy cheese, wrapped in bad mexican food, covered by wasabi. I didn't feel right again until I had a commercial-sized peppermint tea from Whole Foods late in the day. Peppermint calms the stomach naturally, you know?

I probably shouldn't have had three in rapid succession, or on a relatively empty stomach... but it's still no excuse for so much bad stuff in such a small & pretty package (aimed squarely at kids?). If you get nothing out of this post, heed this warning - stay away from the Cakesters!

[ final note: 3 cakes have 370 calories and 17g of fat - wowza!]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps you will believe me next time...glad your stomach is feeling better.

Jes said...

I had them once when they first came out. Thought they were ok, but would rather eat a real oreo. I'm sure it was not the treat as much as the amount of them that you ate. Glad your tummy is better.

Anonymous said...

A tall glass of cold milk with the cakesters is the way to go

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.