April 22, 2008

Earth Day.

Yeah, that's right, Earth Day is TODAY! You didn't really remember either, did you? Until you hopped onto Google and saw their holiday logo. I heard on the radio this morning, and then rememebred something I heard last week too. I did not have a big green event planned though. In fact, all this forgetfulness helped me remember the first few Earth Days as a kid (er, teenager?). It used to be a big deal and our class/school would do something to help our planet.

In that spirit, I will once again plug GreenDimes. They can help reduce junkmail at home, but for a slight upcharge, you also get some cool green accesories. I happened to have the opportuinty to use my packable shopping bag the other day on my WholeFoods trip... and I have to say - one of the nicest reusable bags I've tried. It's small, light, and literally & figureatively green. When in use, it seems strong, comfortable, and still literally & figureatively green.



I'd also challenege you to stop using disposable items, when you could very well use a reusable one. For example:
> A resusable shoping bag instead of new paper or plastic [duh, see above]. This can be at all stores, not just grocery. And if you look hard enough, I bet you could find some colorful, cool, trendy, dare I say, fashionable ones now... maybe at WholeFoods, or Trader Joes, or Marshall Fields, wait, Macy's (yuck).
> Bringing real silverware into work instead of using plastic each day at lunch. I'm not sure if this will go over so well at my office though, whadda ya think?
> Get washable dishcloths instead of using papertowels for everything. Maybe those infomercials from that annoying yelling guy aren't so bad if the product works.
> Don't let Starbucks give you a new papercup AND hand protector cozy thingy (OMG) everytime you buy your half fat, no foam, carmel, mocha frappucino. Instead, bring in a cool reusable mug. Go ahead, I say you can treat yourself to the fancy stainless steel one you've been eyeing. The Earth says it's ok to buy it.
> Use your hand and a bucket of water instead of toilet paper... ok, just kidding on this one... but you don't need to be a roll-hog!

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.