March 13, 2008

MKE > DTW > KIX > CKI

As I flew the 18+ hours from Milwaukee to Taipei (those are the airport codes in the subject), I thought to myself, "Self, would you recommend that anyone take a trip this far and long?" The answer that I came to as I was on the flight was a quick "No." Having had some time to think about it and talk with fellow travelers, I would now say "maybe". If you like new food, architecture, people, etc and have the ability to plan a two week trip, then a trip to Asia could work well. I will be posting a few posts over the next week or so showing some of the above aspects of Taiwan and maybe convincing all of us that this type of long plane trip is recommended.


Above is the DTW airport tram. Evidently moving walkways (which they also have) are not fast or big enough for this airport, so they added a big tram that runs the length, all day, everyday.



And this is also in the DTW airport (did I have a lay-over there?). It’s one of those interesting shooting fountains. Jets of solid water shoot from spot to spot, in a wonderful, timed fashion. It provides hours of entertainment for the people stuck there… and the little birds in the airport also liked it for its inherent bird-bath qualities.

I also found it quite funny (though it could have been from all the flying) that the Osaka Japan airport code (you did know that all airports are known by a single 3 letter code, right? ORD ring a bell?) is simply KIX. I couldn’t stop thinking about the slogan… “Kid Tested, Mom Approved”. I’m not sure moms would approve this airport - fine and all, but decorated like an industrial cafeteria. And I would have given some hard-earned bucks to eat some Kix & cold milk right about then too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jacob said...

I love that little red tram at DTW. I had a connection there on my way to Chicago (don't ask) and quite enjoyed the confines within the airport. Didn't want to venture out, though.

Victoria said...

intersting! 18+ hrs, no thanks....

george said...

Detroit? Sounds hellish. And I mean Detroit, not the 18 hour trip.

george said...

Hey, did you get that comment spam too? Mine was from "akinogal" and it was trying to get me to download antivirus software. Sweet. Now I'll have to enter random character strings to post comments on your blog. :(

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.