March 7, 2008

Do you know the Muffin Man?

Does any else remember that song from childhood? I think my Mom used to sing it to us (I'm sure Laughs&Tears will let us all know if I'm wrong). In any case, it came to mind, albeit briefly, when I saw this car in front of me the other day.

[no, it's not safe to take pics while driving, but it is fun]

I will admit that I've yet had the chance to fill out the DMV form for my very own vanity license (what, with only getting a car late last year). However, I'm pretty sure my first choice would not be "MUFFIN1". This plate should not have even gotten as far as the USPS to send in the form. They should have stopped it before it ever reached the post office. Barring that injustice, they should have, for sure, snagged it while a convict was stamping it out in the joint (yes, I believe convicts still make license plates). There's no way he/she could have gone back to their cell feeling good about stamping out a plate that read "MUFFIN1". He probably went back to his cell after burning that plate into his memory with the idea of finding this auto-owner and jackin her up upon his release, on principle alone.

Well, the plate did get out and onto a car. The woman driving this little compact was a pretty bad driver, but I wouldn't have even paid attention to her driving were it not for the "MUFFIN1" plate starring me in the face. I couldn't help but think "What would make someone get this?". Does she just really like muffins a lot? Does she have her own "muffin top"? Is she trying to ward off bad drivers, flat tires, and pot holes with an extra dose of cuteness?

I firmly believe that all vanity plates should go through a very strict approval process for humor and quality. Plates like "MUFFIN1" should not be allowed unless you are a baker or in the baked goods industry AND drive a large delivery vehicle that wafts off cinnamon and sugar smells all through the neighborhood. Another plate I saw the other day would be a step up - "LVNLIFE" - kinda tricky, has some thought in it. And one of my all-time favorites (esp in the bike racing world) is "H8LUZN", yeah, who doesn't hate losing? Finally, this mind-bender is almost too good "TIH5 HO". (hint, "reflect" on this for a little bit)

If this is the muffin man's car, I don't want to know him.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

i remember that song!

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.