February 25, 2008

The Great Debate!

For longer than I can now remember, a good friend and I have had a rager of a debate regarding two often used terms; "halfsies" and "splitsies". These get used alot, (oops, two words)... a lot as restaurant eating is pretty common in, uh, the whole world.

Even as a little kid, we used to use these two terms when going out with the family. Having 7 kids makes these terms very helpful. I could almost get two dinners or desserts of a simple, quick, word with one of my siblings. We used the terms all the time. Of course it's only natural that I now use these terms when going out with friends. In fact, I may overuse them as I tend to eat larger quantities of food when dining out than I normally do, and the items on the menu always look so good! I like being able to try more than one dish; Halfsies and Splitsies make this possible with great results, even with friends.

So, the debate has been in full-form for at least a couple of years now, but I can't remember exactly over what dish or restaurant it all started at. The issue is that we cannot come to consensus on the meaning of the terms. Here are the two options:

Option 1 -
Halfsies = Almost literally cutting a dish in half, each person getting one half of a full meal.
Splitsies = Two people splitting two dishes, each person getting two halves.

Option 2 -
Halfsies = Two people giving each other half of their dish, each person getting two halves.
Splitsies = Two people splitting one dish, each person getting one half of a full meal.

Now honestly, it's been so long since the debate got underway that I can't truly remember which option I have been behind the whole time, writing them down has only confused me further.

What I need everyone to do this week is to use the Poll, over there on the left <<<, to indicate which option they believe is correct. In the meantime, I'll do some Googling to see if there is a truly definitive answer on the subject.

Vote early and vote often. This debate needs to be put to rest.

[If the definitions I've proposed confuse anyone, READ GEORGE'S COMMENT FOR A DIFFERENT SPIN on them]

4 comments:

george said...

I got a little confused the first time I read the definitions, but after reading them again, I've got it. Here's how I'd reword it, in the hopes that this helps anyone:

Option 1--
halfsies: 2 people order one meal and each take half.
splitsies: 2 people order 2 meals and split them.

Option 2--
halfsies: 2 people order 2 meals and each take half of each.
splitsies: 2 people order 1 meal and split it.

Jes said...

Thanks George. I got it now. I don't use either trem much and don't remember using it in my young days either. Must have been your other family marty :)

Anonymous said...

It's totally option 2. When you're not that hungry, you ask someone to split something with you, splitsies. And when you want to taste different things, you offer half of yours for half of theirs, halfsies. I think I have too much time on my hands...

Anonymous said...

Marty, I believe your preferred stance (and mine) is Option 1.

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.