May 7, 2008

Pizza Shuttle.

As anyone with half a brain will tell you, a good hometown has GOT TO have some good pizza. This goes double for anyone that grew up in Chicago (being the home of deep dish) or perhaps New York, but I can't speak for them. And if you don't know it already, I like eating in general. To be more specific, I've grown up with an eating contest atmosphere at most meals in a family of 4 boys. It was almost always unspoken, but there was something to be said for eating as much as or more than they guy next to you. It's still like that to this day, but we're all getting older and our feats of gastronomic fortitude are becoming increasingly rare.

I know, I know... "get to the post, Jackass!" Well, I had the opportunity in the last month or so to find what is actually regarded as one of the best pizza places in MKE. This title is not placed by me, but by some of the local publications I have read. Also, I suspect there are far fancier pizza places than Pizza Shuttle, but only they have such a niche carved out... carved out of mozzarella, dough, and pizza sauce.

Their niche, in my humble estimation, is semi-greasy, cheap, college pizza. This is not to say that it doesn't taste good, as they always get high marks in reviews. However, for those of us that are fans of Gumby's Pizza (ooh, Pokey Sticks), I would say this is very reminiscent of that style: a little greasy, a little cheesy, and a lot of volume.


This is the remnants of a dine-in only 28" pizza... Just barely held up by the table.

Not only that, but they have one of the biggest menus I've ever seen at a pizza joint. It's literally 8 full color pages, folded up like a small newspaper. You expect to be able to order pizza, but I did not expect to be able to order such things as: gyros, chicken fingers, wings, custard, beer, etc. This is a versatile place and also delivers everything. Yes, Margaret, you can get Brownie Fudge custard sundae delivered right into your grubby little hands.



Of course, the variety in people is almost as good as the variety of food. I saw lots of different people from all walks of life... and that's just the employees. Plus, we don't have to worry about the old saying "never trust a skinny chef"... trust me.

To top it all off, this is about 3 blocks from my place - totally walkable and they have a photo booth. What better way to end a gorging than to stuff yourself and all your friends in an enclosed space for pictures!?! "Say cheese!!"



Finally, I can write all this and I've not even had the pizza yet, just the custard. I'm saving the pizza experience for when I really need it - after a long, hard ride or long, hard night of drinking. I just know Pizza Shuttle won't let me down. Get on the bus, Gus.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.