June 16, 2018

Mt. Madonna County Park / Camp Out, Gilroy, CA


Would you like to ride during the work week? What about a ride to a camp site and spend the night outdoors? Would you like to camp in the middle of a redwood forest? I say, "Yes", to all. I had the opportunity to do just that a week ago, and it was a department outing... so, did I have a choice as the FNG? Not really. Me go.

I have to say, it was easily one of the hardest rides, much of it uphill, that I've done in a long time... maybe ever. I also can't say I got a great look at the park or camp ground. We were very focused on the riding, then putting some delicious local burritos in our maws, then getting set-up for the night, then dark came (Zzzzzz).

I would like to do the ride again at some point (perhaps with more fitness) and even go back to this park and camping area by car. I would get out to take pics all along the climb and also of the nature all around us. You can get a little sense of it below, but I didn't get enough for my memory bank.


What I did get a great sense of and appreciation for (during a work week, mind you) is that there are things much bigger than ourselves. Sitting among redwood trees, on the top of a mountain, in the dark, with stars coming out makes you feel small (in a good way, not like in the high school way). You can take a step back, turn it all off, and truly relax. There's a huge natural world out there, and you really should take any chance you can to appreciate it.




Below was the original plan for my sleeping quarters that night, which I think would have been do-able, but a little bit before dark, we "commandeered" a yurt nearby and slept inside this sturdy fabric building for the night. Yurts generally have a door, windows, a skylight, and this one also had bunk beds w/ mattresses. A bit glamping style, but hey, I'm not a hardcore outdoorsmen by any means.

The hammock I own was very easy to set up and get ready, this version also has some lights for night-time visibility...


If you can't tell, I'd go back and do this again, for a longer stay too... after I get some more riding miles in my legs, please.

We also "bombed" down Hecker Pass the next morning on the way to work. It's a fairly busy pass for cars, especially at commute times, but it worked out well. We went very fast, no brakes, and made it back to work in about 45 minutes... passing this farm, wineries, and many other views along the way.


No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.