July 26, 2017

Babcock Hall Dairy Plant & Store, #2 - The Eats, Madison, WI

If you had read Part 1, I'm sure you'll be as happy as I was to get into the foods on offer in the Dairy Store, so let's get to it.


They have ice cream available (of course!), but as this store is located in a university building, filled with people during the school year, and for that matter is located on a college campus filled with people during the school year, that's a lot of people. As such, they have done the smart thing offer a full menu of items, including sandwiches, soups, salads, etc.


I started my visit with lunch, and it seemed like one of their sandwiches was the way to go. I followed their directions and picked one of their Signature sandwiches... the Mendota Club. Let's do it!





It's pretty much like a simple Subway sandwich shop, but wasn't as good as I was hoping for. It's just a sandwich. I think that's what I get for eating lunch at a dairy store full of ice cream. If you go, my suggestion would be to eat lunch first someplace else, then come here for the ice cream.



They have all manner of lunch options (I even heard their taco salad ordered more than once), but I didn't think mine was that great and I didn't even take a pic of my final sandwich. They were very nice folks and patient & helpful, even for a newbie like me. The lady helping me loaded it up with mayo (blech!), toasted it off to melt the cheese and then wrapped it in sandwich paper. By the time I opened it to eat it, the bread sweat had steamed all the bread and other ingredients into a mushy mess. It wasn't "toasty" at all, no crisp. Ah well. I'm learning as I go.

So, back to the important part, their ice cream. I went right back up to the counter after wolfing down my lunch to make my pick and get some frozen deliciousness.


The pricing is very reasonable for a good-sized dish of 2-3 scoops, and you can mix flavors too. So, I did... Peanut Butter and Chocolate (an all-time go-to) and Union Utopia (which seemed like a good idea)...


I went outside to eat it on their patio, which also let it get a little more melty and smooth. They were both very good and I would certainly go back to try more ice cream. 


They also have other dairy items available for purchase and take-out in the store... fine meats and cheeses and the like. As I understand it, all made there in the hall or at the university.


I'll certainly go back to Babcock for the ice cream (I'll skip the sandwich), and will take the faster main entrance to the store next time too.



No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.