August 9, 2009

Uptown Art Fair.

What else would I do on a hot, steamy, Sunday morning in August by myself? For those from my home state, this is much like the OldTown Art Fair, just a lot less people and no "suggested donation" that goes to a nebulous community organization. I'd say the art was the same (surely these artists tour the country all summer?), the food was more 'state fair', and the lighter crowd much better for me (and I don't hate crowds, just the people in them).

This is MN's 2nd largest public event, aside from the venerable state fair. It attracts something like 450,000 people each year and sells something on the order of $2.5 million in art. Speaking of the art, you be the judge. Favorites?


[b&w photos from Youngbok Park, Oakland, CA]


[who couldn't use another BudLight beer can airplane? Sompit Xia Srinuksit, Granite Falls, NC - so not making this up]


[really nice, bright, ceramic work (freestanding objects and this tile work), David Allyn, Providence, RI]


[and maybe one of the most wacky, whimsical booths I've ever seen, this Dumpty is 2-3 FEET high and made out of bronze! Kimber @ Joan of Art - there were probably hundreds of similiar items, all of Humpty - obsess much?]

And let's not forget the food

[you don't want just any ole corn dog - how about a foot long corndog!?! I would have liked to get a shot of one of them, and I thought about it, even saw one or two - but the people gnawing on them probably would have given me the stink eye, MN-style]


[and finally, on a hot, 85 degree day with like 90% humidity - who doesn't want some warm nuts? I think the best part is the mad little girl holding down her booth duty]

1 comment:

Victoria said...

i like the first picture! the humpty dumpty sculptures are creepy!

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.