August 30, 2009

Minneapolis Farmer's Market, Part Un.



Time for another short series. This time, it's all about the Minneapolis Farmer's Market. Please note, this is the one in Minneapolis and not the one in St. Paul. I've only been to Minnie's. Attending St. Paul would require a long bike ride or a car ride, both of which I generally shun on an early Saturday morning (at least for produce).

We'll start this two-part series off with some likes & dislikes, see some produce, and then use the 2nd part to talk about some more fun items.

Likes: It makes a great Saturday morning trip. You get up, shower (or maybe not, which I believe is the tradition), get some coffee, a giant cinnamon roll or giant brat (I don't get this one), and walk around and find some finds. They also seem to bring out such a variety of people, both vendors (farmers, foreign folks, etc) and shoppers (residents, out of towners, kids, students, etc). Finally, as you'll hopefully see, it's so dang colorful - vibrant vegetables, flowers, people, sounds, etc. It's just a nice way to begin the weekend.




[without the sun, it makes for a very cold morning - check the weather before you leave]





Not Likes: Seems like everyone drives to this shin-dig. I suspect that's mostly due to it being held basically under the highway, in a not-so-nice part of town. I rode my bike and thought it was less than ideal riding. The only other thing you notice is that it's alot of the same thing at each booth. I mean, how many pickling cucumber tables can you take in early on a Saturday morning, or better yet, why would I want to see them all?


[you didn't believe me, Mrs. Sourpuss?]


Come back soon for Part Deux.

1 comment:

eakoster said...

I enjoy this market as well; mostly because I feel like I'm in another country. Perhaps its the vendors!

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.