August 13, 2009

*I'm on TV.


Well, actually, it's just PBS... but still!

I had the chance to volunteer for the local PBS station's August pledge drive through work. I thought it would be fun to finally check one of these out. And I'm embarassed to admit I've never contributed to PBS in all my years watching. I mean, since I was a wee boy it's been a steady stream of Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, and Electric Company - though the best was Reading Rainbow, not. And now-a-days it's This Old House and others. So, I felt contributing my time would help offset this imbalance. I signed up for a 4 hour shift. I know, it seems long, right? And this was from 6-10pm on a Tuesday, so after a normal workday too. What did I get myself into?

In actuality, it wasn't rocket science or even mildly hard to take pledges. It was a bit warm in "Studio C" at the venerable Twin Cities Public Television (TPT) Studios, but they fed us dinner and had plenty of cool drinks for us to guzzle down (and I drank them like it was going out of style). The time went by quickly. We got to see & hear them interview Dr. Amen live in the studio (Google "Brain in Love") and we all had a chance to see the live "give us your money" schtick that they do during pledge drives. Some of us also got "close-ups". I am purported to have had one of said close-ups, and they run the shows over and over, so perhaps I can see myself one day on TPT2, St. Paul-Minneapolis.

Here's some pics from the joint (no cellphones allowed in the studio, oops):



*As a small sidenote, this is my 300th blog post. Just like a popular sitcom, I got myself a fancy t.c cake, made by the wacky crew at Ace of Cakes. Thanks Duff & Co - it was delicious!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

how neat! way to give back, Mom would be proud.

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.