January 20, 2008

"How cold is it?"

It's so cold that the skin in your nose freezes.
It's so cold that the Cubs might try to play games in the winter.
It's so cold that even drunk Packer fans have been heard saying "Damn, it's cold out!"

The skin in your nose one really hit home yesterday. It's noticeable even only out walking for a short time. Not only did I feel this when I went out mid-morning yesterday for a walk-run (getting back to running after the long cold), but I also heard people discussing it on the street as I went down to the local movie house. (and this is a "house", not a big theater like we know today. It has a real-live organ that they play in the main house before all showtimes. As the movie begins, the organ & organist slowly descend down into it's "parking spot", out of the viewing lines for the movie screen. The crowd almost always applauds for the organist as he descends. It's definitely a unique throw-back.)

Not much else going on up here, but I'll do an abbreviated version of the original format, my own throw-back:

Family - M & D are hosting a "Pampered Chef" party today at their house. Sounds like a fun time, but again, with this cold, I hope they get all the people they are expecting. Vic has started her 2nd semester at UofI (Yay!), but she already went back home for a weekend. It's ok... I understand. John got a year older last week, which only serves as a reminder that we all get a year older in 08.

Friends - Not much going down. I decided late in the week to forgo a trip to the City for a Meet-Up event and the parent's chef party. WIth the expense of even one night in the city and the drive down and back.. that's money that could be spent on debt or a new road bike. And I've now heard that most people aren't looking to go out in the cold anyways (me included), so I think it will prove to be a wise decision.

Bike - I've been on a mad hunt for a (relatively) inexpensive road bike. With below zero temps outside, it's still not hard to think that some time soon nice weather will be here. I'll be more than itching to go out riding, and I haven't had a road bike in a season or two. Good news is that after selling off or giving away three bikes already this winter, I can think about getting a road bike. It also helps that a friend at SRAM will add some parts for me at a great price. Otherwise, the whole project was looking unpossible. I think I've found a frame too, so maybe in the next few weeks it will come together. Don't forget to get the taxes done.... the returns can fund all kinds of unneeded projects or pay off previously incurred debt.

A/R - I think the only news here is more of a general analness I like to perform after having a cold. I like to get rid of any and all trash from the cold... Kleenex's, etc. Just bag it all and toss it the day after I'm feeling better. I also like to get washed towels and sheets rotated in, stat. And, airing out the whole place happened this time too. Of course, catching up on cleaning the bathroom and kitchen also took place, not to mention the normal vacuuming. Lastly, with the addition of a new, more modern bathroom rug and shower curtain, and putting up all of my pictures, the new place is finally finished... for now.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

glad to hear you are finally feeling 100%!! you should post pics of your place now that is it homey :)

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.