August 22, 2019

Farming in Northern CA, Watsonville, CA

This relatively new location that I live in, has given me an up close & personal view of the US' crop production. The town I live in and others nearby are well-known for their produce, almost globally at this point. They are big producers of items like artichokes, garlic, and many types of berries. You can't go far here without seeing a roadside stand selling much of the produce a family would use, and it's all locally grown.



To that end, do you know what the pics are of above? They use these "hoop houses" all over the valley and coast. I believe it's to keep the plants warm for the growing season, maybe even to keep the direct sun off them. Don't take my word for it, Wiki can tell us more HERE.

I'm writing a post about this topic because I have been relatively surprised by how many or how often these hoop houses are used here. You don't see them in the Midwest for grain growing. They really use them a lot here though, everything in white below are these houses. To be honest, I'm sort of fascinated by them, and I don't know why. Enjoy.












No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.