August 9, 2015

2015 Carver County Fair, Part I, Waconia, MN

I thought of this quote from Wedding Crashers when I think about county fair season:

Jeremy Grey: Grab that net and catch that beautiful butterfly, pal! What do you like better, Christmas or Wedding Season?
[Jeremy raises his hand]
John Beckwith: Mr. Grey?
Jeremy Grey: Yes. The answer would be, um, Wedding Season?
[shimmy-shakes]
John Beckwith: Bingo! I'm gonna get my suit. Now who are we this time?

And I have to say, I might choose county fair season as my favorite of the year. And I mean over Christmas and all the other ones. Here's what I ate at the very recent [burp] Carver County Fair:

- Small Mint Milkshake with added Chocolate sauce
- Pork Chop in a Stick
- Locally-made Italian Sausage, with peppers & onions
- Deep-fried Cheese Curds
- Minneapple Pie with Cinnamon ice cream
- 2 Leinenkugel's Lemon Shandy beers



And I 'd do it again. In fact, I'll hopefully get close to that this coming week at this year's Cokato Corn Carnival. In my opinion, not to be missed.


We toured the barns between food binges and got to see, in chronological order: 
- lambs/sheep
- llamas
- dogs (in a "talent show")
- elephants
- pigs (in pig races... more in next post)
- horses
- cows
(no birds or poultry of any kind this year at the fairs, some kind of quarantine issue)

We also got to meet some neat folks on the Carver County Fair Board while we participated in the insanely popular Rock-Scissors-Paper Tournament, which we simply stumbled into. Now, I know what you might be thinking, "Why would you enter that!?" Well, how does a $500 prize sound to you? It sounded pretty good to me. The friend I went with got to the 4th round (of 7) and was 8 people left from 158. She actually lost to the eventual champion.  I went down in the first round to a very sharp 6 year old. Ah well, next year.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

All the food sounds delicious! Hilarious rock-paper-scissors competition idea!

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.