October 10, 2009

Leinenkugel Brewery Tour; Chippewa Falls, WI.


[these were on sale for $10]

So I'm not a huge drinker these days, beer or otherwise, but I've been known to down some suds from time to time. I also like to break up the drive from CHI to MPS however and wherever I can.
How about a quick stop to see how America's 4th largest "craft" brewer does their stuff? Yes, I think the Leinenkugel Brewery Tour will do just fine. Is there a location in Chippewa Falls, WI? Yes again, excellent.
[park in the factory parking lot on the weekends and walk over the bridge]
[this is not the spring they use for their water, though it is nearby]
You start out in the "gift shop", where you can sample beers (and soda, if you're driving home that afternoon), send postcards, sign up for the tour, check out some northwoods history, and most/best of all, you can get almost anything you can think of labeled with "Leinenkugel's" on it - thank God. I've been needing a new canoe paddle and would like to show my pride for my favorite beverage on said paddle - phew, they have me covered.
I'm not kidding, here's some shots of the brewery grounds and the store (like the MAM exhibit, pics are not allowed in the brewery proper):
[the new distribution addition won't be done til November, so the packaging line is closed for tours]
[but maybe they'll re-open the ole Leine's barn. this is where they used to keep the horses that delivered the beer all over WI "back in the day"]
[speaking of draft horses, did you need some new gear for yours? i think this is emblazoned with their logos]
[before you start your delivery route, pack up all your beer in these cool vintage/retro cases - they were not for sale, but what isn't if the price is right?]
[the first keg-erator!?!]
FYI #1- Leine's is the 4th largest craft brewer, Sam Adams is #1. They still don't touch the mega brewers like Budweiser, Miller, and Coors.
FYI #2 - Leine's has a brewery on 10th St in MKE. I did not know this. They also have a smaller line of beers called "Big Eddy" that do not travel out of WI very often. In fact, I heard on the tour it is rare to see these beers north of Madison. Might be cool to try and find some, people seem to like them.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.