August 3, 2008

Results, Poll #28, Housing.

Renting renting always renting. This is my personal mantra, but boy would it be nice to be creating some equity. I've said before that I've moved, on average, once a year since I gradated high school. Once or twice, I've moved 3 times or more in a year, for a variety of reasons. I can't wait, if it's ever possible, to be in a home and not move for many many years. That'll be the day.

This week, the rest of the t.c readers said:
> 9 people (50%) chose 'I'm enjoying creating equity while paying off a mortgage' - sounds like the smart way to go, even with the housing slump. Plus, if you're married, you only have one landlord to answer to, your spouse.
> 8 people (44%) chose 'Renting, always renting' - well, it's not sooo bad, buck up! However, I will point out that people in the know still recommend using only 25% of your monthly income on a rental/housing expense. More than that and it could be iffy, unless you don't have other expenses, like a car.
> 1 person (5%) chose 'Still in school' and live with M&D or in university housing - sure, we've all done that. Some days, I think it might be better than always renting (minus the cockroaches and couches filled with broken glass and loose change).

No one chose that they live in their car (I'll keep you all posted on my future situation:), but no one also chose that they own their home outright. I thought for sure one or two of the t.c readership would, shows how much I know. Perhaps I will have to do this again in 20-30 years time and see where it ends up.

Final Note; I believe we have a new, legitimate respondent record, 18 people. Thanks all.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.