August 13, 2008

It's all in the name?

Not being a parent, I've been pretty amazed, er, intrigued, by what some of the first names are of our US athletes. A quick trip to the USOC webpage pulls up some rather unusual names. Some are just rare, but some are unique due to the "novel" spelling. I guess everyone wants their little Britneigh to be different.

Here's a sample of the names I found:
Seimone
Benn
Tayshaun
Cappie
Levi
Deontay
Taylor (male)
Kelci
Hayley
Nancilea
McClain (yes, first name)
Beezie
Sada
Erinn (yes, two 'n's)
Chellsie (a Wisco native no less)
Keeth
Benny
Marvell
Tairia (I don't know how to say her name)
Caitlin
Klete
Rebekah
Liezel
Shalane
Dathan
Queen
Torri
(and one of my favorite athletes to watch) Misty

Perhaps a unique name might have something to do with all these people being Olympic athletes?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When Shalane won her bronze medal at 1 or 2 am the other night (yes, I was up watching still), they said that her father picked the name. It was the heroine of a science fiction novel he liked. Not surprising at all.

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.