August 8, 2021

Grampa’s Pizzeria, Madison, WI


Despite the somewhat confounding spelling of the word I would presume to be “grandpa”, the pizzas this place is pulling out of their oven are not confusing at all, in fact, it’s crystal clear they’re delicious. On a recent Saturday evening, I spent a lovely couple of hours on their patio enjoying not one, but four of their popular Neapolitan-style preset pizza options. 

We chose to get two pizzas and 1/2 a preset on each  so, 4 x 0.5 = 2. Get it? You may not, but my stomach did. We went with these four - Brassacre (cute name), Carbeniri, Peperoni and classic Cheese. 

Cracker like and slightly charred crust, excellent toppings with some kick (where appropriate), and great cheese - I mean, I'm in Wisconsin after all. I do like a box-cut (yes, that's what that's called) on a thin crust pizza, which makes it easier to fold pieces over on each other and make a little sandwich.

Fair to say, I thought the pizzas were really good, and we even saved a little room for dessert. Hard to pass up Chocolate Mousse…  

It looked really thick, heavy, and rich, but it was light, almost fluffy, chilled and perfect after the pizza.

Service, which is always a bit of a pain in a college town, was excellent. Our waitress, Amy, helped us the whole night, even when I pestered her about free sugar cookies I spied on the kitchen pass through when I put in my name. They came with the check (and I took that and the leftovers home - bam!).


I would like to go back almost as soon as I can. Don’t miss it if you find yourself in the neighborhood. 



No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.