January 27, 2010

A View of Amsterdam.


Don't let the pot-rep fool you, this place is sweet!

So, for those not in the know, I took a short trip to the Netherlands last weekend (I had miles, I didn't pay for hotels, it was a VERY cheap trip - I won't even tell you how cheap). This is also why everyone that I met looked at me funny for staying only 3 days. They were like, "Wha???!!!", but then I told them why it was so short.

Anyways, the first day and a half was spent in Amsterdam. I though it might be nice to toss up some quick pics of a very cute city.

First, get a lay of the land from the place your staying. Due to a wonderful friend and host, I lucked into a 4th and 5th floor condo on the first night's stay. I did have to help pumping up an air mattress by hand, drink my share of beer, and ride a young lady around the city on the back of a bike... but hey, it's a small price to pay and I was glad to oblige.

Westerly


Easterly

Then, a trip through the city to the "Jordaan" through one of their bigger parks, called the "Vondelpark"


They have a large park with large houses all along the outer ring. It was something to see alright


Hurry, the light's fading fast (at about 4:30-5pm)


Catch this canal shot before the sun sets


And one more for good measure. The city has many many many canals b/c they used them to move goods from the harbor into the warehouses that stored/owned the goods. It makes alot of sense to me


So this is a shot from the bar we stopped in about when we arrived. Not to full... just wait.


Fuel up with some raw "ox" sausage and some good ole liverwurst. This is not the kind Oscar Mayer makes, a bit of a step up. We also had some Pringles (limited selection in this little nook), but they tasted great with the meat selection.


Wash down the vittles with some local brew, which in Amsterdam happens to be Heineken. And is that a ghost in the picture? Woooo-ooooohhhh!!!!


Here's our guy again... lots more people, and still only one bartender, handling it all like nothing's doin'


And finally, a shot of the swans hanging out in the RedLight district. Now whatever you've heard about the RedLight is probably true. I've not ever seen anything like it... but it's also kind of like an outdoor strip club. Makes you feel a little dirty and, at least for me, I just want to get out.

As a sidenote, the pot thing has never seemed to influence much about the city for me. I think of the city as very normal, hardworking, and just the right amount of design and Euro-flair. I like the place a lot.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.