January 4, 2010

Guinness "Widget".



Are you one of the few, proud, select people that enjoy Guinness? (well, at least in the group of friends you hang out with?) Did you ever drink Guinness out of a can? Did you ever wonder what that thing clanging around the can is? I found out.

The "widget" as it seems to be officially known has a long and storied history. I found the info quite interesting, but then again, I also like to drink the stuff. I even have a random pic of me drinking it in Copenhagen (in the AM), but you won't see that here.
Seems simple enough:

You can get into the can pretty easy.


This little ball (about the size of a pingpong ball) has a small hole in it. During canning, the hole fills with excess nitrogen (which is a different gas than most beers) and some of the liquid too. When the can is opened, the pressure is released and the excess gas and beer shoot back into the rest of the can, thereby "supercharging" the beer before pouring.
And before you go and feel sorry for me b/c I seem to have enough free time to cut the widgets out of my cans and blog about them, I'll have you know that they suggest removing them for recycling. So there.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

i already knew that! :)

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.