January 31, 2010

Mud = Cyclocross.

One of the main draws for traveling to the Netherlands, besides seeing old friends and meeting new ones, was to attend a cyclocross race in a southern Dutch town called Hoogerheide. (here's a quick video on cyclocross). I can sort of pronounce this city name in Dutch, but only if I'm half in the bag... yes yes, which is most of the time.


We awoke to some snow in the town I was now staying in, Nijkerk (pronounced "Knee-kirk", just like Kirk Cameron). I also found out, for the Dutch, this is alot of snow. It's merely a dusting for a Minnesotan, but for a drive to the southern part of the country, we needed to be prepared for the racing action.


No snow to speak of down south, so it was time to break out the Wellies. I was lucky enough to borrow some thick socks and these perfectly suitable green badboys. (I only packed one bag, no room for Wellies).


Next, keep your hands warm with the Dutch hand warmer. Yes, Doris, that is mayo on the fries (or as they say, "frites"). No before you complain about mayo on the fries, try it first. This mayo has a hint of lemon and is not the consistency of American mayo. It was delicious, warm, and my lunch.


Finally, toss in an Umpah band, a large mobile TV screen, a few thousand Dutch and Belgians (only 4km from Belgium) and you have the makings of a race. Where's the bikes!?!

Ah-ha!








As I said, this was my first UCI World Cup Cyclocross event. It was awesome. The crowd was great (not too big, not too small... and not too drunk), the racing was superb, and the day couldn't have gone much better.

The 1.5 hour drive back (a real roadtrip in Europe) was spent talking about the warming of extremities, what we could snack on, and how much cold body parts hurt near the end of the day. I think it was perfect.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.