September 19, 2021

Chuckwagon Restaurant, Adair, IA

I don't mess around when it comes to at least a few things... ice cream, beer, bikes, and I think now I can safely say, pork tenderloin. Ideally, pork tenderloin on a sandwich (easily one of my favorite food vehicles). I've had this sandwich a number of times over the years, but came upon what might be the best version I've ever had (easily Top 3) in a small town off I-80 in Iowa called Adair. I happened to use Maps to find a diner on the way to Omaha (also known for the pork tenderloin) and happened upon this 4.5/5.0 starred place - the Chuckwagon Restaurant.


"Chuck's" seems to be known for their breakfast/brunch menu, but that stops being offered at 11AM each day. It was going to be a lunch menu for me. Fine. Once I sat down, got my bearings, an Arnold Palmer and a menu, it was staring me right in the face - how could I not choose the pork?!


I wasn't exactly in the mood for the sandwich, but and because I'd had a fast-food version the night before... I had to try the real deal.

When it came to my table, I thought it was heavily breaded and likely going to ruin the roof of my mouth (you know what I mean?!)... but this thing was more tender than veal massaged by babies hands. It was SO good. I almost still can't believe it and am getting hungry just typing.



Needless to say, I ate the whole thing. And also needless to say - go here if you're making your way through Iowa on I-80, you'll be glad you did. 

They also had a very bright, friendly staff, plus pay-by-QR code when you're done. Easy-peasey.




No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.