December 13, 2013

Glad Sankta Lucia Dagens

For anyone in Sweden, and other Scandinavian countries, today is a special pre-Chirstmas ("Jul") holiday known as Sankta Lucia Dagens, and one of the few days in which they celebrate a saint. They seem to celebrate mostly with a ceremony for the children, having special "pageants" at schools. The most trippy part is one young girl is chosen to wear a wreath of candles on her head in the procession. I think in years past it was actual lit candles, but I'm not sure they use open flames now.

I know, awesome picture quality...
I know some people that actually went to one today to watch their kids take part (or at least stand silently and give emotional support to their classmates).

You can read more about it HERE.
And I thought this VIDEO was also helpful.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.