July 26, 2009

Al's Breakfast Diner.


Having been seen on Food Network, this placed looked to be something of a local celebrity. On closer inspection, it's a greasy spoon, in the best sense of the phrase. Usually, you have to wait in line outside the place (so I'm told), which is simply for the fact that the place is about 12 counter seats, and that's it. People, again, I'm told, wait a long time. Well, I guess it was just one of those lazy Saturdays, because we walked right in and sat down.
Now the mantra for picking out the food should be "keep it simple". Don't get eggs Benedict or huevos rancheros, but you can be sure omelets and pancakes are good-to-go. In fact, I noticed "Corn Pancakes" on the menu, and not being shy about food options, decided to give them a try. It was very unique (not in a bad way) and the corn was as fresh as it gets. I wouldn't order it again, but at least I can say I tried. I also had a $1 bowl of applesauce. Yep, regular ole applesauce. I dunno, it sounded good. They even said, "Would you like cinnamon for it?" ... as if they had to ask.
[turn to the right, mohawked short order cook - check]


[turn to your left, surly (but very nice) counter waitresses - check]



1 comment:

Victoria said...

mmm nothing better than breakfast food!

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.