May 9, 2019

Wooden Nickel, Watsonville, CA

If you just moved the entirety of your worldly possessions, spent the rest of the day setting up a new space, and forgot to eat lunch... this is the place.

As I was walking in, I got a strange feeling I might no fit in here, but as soon as I walked in the door, my fears were allayed. This is just a good ole local hole in the wall, in the best sense of the phrase. I loved the decor, patrons, staff, and food/drinks almost as soon as I walked in. It just felt perfect that day.

I waited a few minutes for a stool at the bar to open up (not really tons of seating or a very big place). Once I sat down, everything came to me as it should. Drink & food? Yes & Yes.




I went with their Nickel Burger as a first shakedown meal for the place. You get the sandwich, fries, house-made coleslaw, and a little piece of cake, with every order. 

The burger was very very good. Great bun, cooked well, and fresh toppings too. I'd easily order it again. The fries were not to my liking. They had the texture and taste of those shoestring potatoes out of a can. I'm not sure how they did that, but I'd prefer a normal "non-dehydrated" French fry. Coleslaw was fresh and tasty. I think it had cranberries in it, nice. The cake was merely a bite or two, but kind of a nice little topper on the whole meal.


If you happen to be near Watsonville, or maybe driving through, I would definitely stop in. In fact, I know I will be back in soon, now that it's in "my backyard".

Recent Update: I've already been back, the dish below, Caesar Salad w/ Skirt Steak Teriyaki, was not removed from my olfactory memory after the first visit. The guy next to me had ordered it. I had to go back for it. This sign caught my eye that night too...



Steak and salad were very good. I'd pass on the bread next time. Kind of really dig that little piece of cake with every meal still. It's about two bites, nothing fancy, served on an orange slice, but feels worth it.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.