April 4, 2019

Update #4: Admitting the Problem is the First Step

Every now & again, I write down my cellphone changes as I'm a nut for phones, and they change often enough that if I don't write them down, I will forget. Yes, I'm the kind of person that likes phones/tech so much, I enjoy keeping track. 

The last update was in 2014, which is virtually eons in the tech world. In a nutshell, I have gone back to Apple phones for almost all of my choices, or at least long-term choices. I find, over time, their phones have become the best available, based on a few traits:
1. Phone technology - FaceTime, Find my Phone & even iMessage (for use with friends & family)
2. Apps breadth & depth - the other day I downloaded a tides app, like for the ocean!
3. Accessory breadth & depth - from Apple and other companies, a good case is important
4. Apple philosophy on privacy & data - they seem to protect it more and keep the consumer in mind

The list below goes all the way back to the first phone I've ever owned/bought, which was a small Nokia from the Cingular/AT&T store on Clybourne Avenue in Chicago. At the time, this store was only blocks from where I worked. This Nokia is still a favorite. I managed to get pretty good at Snake and enroll all my friends into using texts/SMS, using the T9 input method (predictive text).

The list is now alphabetical (by brand) and updates since the last post are in Blue.

Apple
iPhone 3
iPhone 5
iPhone 5S
iPhone SE - love this size in the pocket, not so great for viewing webpages & texted videos
iPhone 6S
iPhone 7 - two of them at various points, and my current phone. Seems to check almost all boxes for daily use and was easy to purchase "refurbished" online.
iPhone X - I was not superstoked with FaceID at the time, which only allowed one "facial profile". They now allow multiple, like with sunglasses or a hat on. I also find this family of iPhones to be fairly heavy and thicker than previous generations, I believe due to upgraded battery and wireless charging. It's a tradeoff.

Blu
VIVO IV - this is one odd brand out of Miami and a terribly clunky OS

HTC
Aria - total crap, IMO
One - the one with the front-facing speakers, it's ok

LG
G3 - the biggest phone I had ever used and did not get used to the size within the return window, perhaps a bit hasty on my part

Motorola
Unidentified flip phone - ancient by today's standards, found it on Chicago's Navy Pier
Razr
Rokr w385
Atrix - not a bad little phone
Razr V XT886 - one of my all-time worsts
Moto G4 or G5 - inexpensive and not a bad Android phone, but pales in comparison to an iPhone now-a-days

Nokia
6030
6590 (2)
E62
9300
3360
5140
8210 - one of my all-time favorites

Panasonic 
g51m - an almost micro-sized phone

RIM

BlackBerry 7300 - employer-issued

Samsung
x495 - super simple flip phone
Captivate from the Galaxy S Series - junk
Galaxy S III - warrantied multiple times, sent back

Sony Ericsson
W300i
S710a - hand me down
Xperia Z1 Compact - great size, waterproof, dust-proof, not a great OS and terrible company support

That's 34 in all now. I don't believe I will ever find this form of new technology uninteresting.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I'm not sure what's funnier, that you've kept a list or that it's been 34 changes!!

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.