December 21, 2017

Sinus Surgery, Madison Surgical Center, Madison, WI

This was a real fun one... great way to end the year, right? After numerous sinus infections in the last year (never any before), it was time to have my sinuses fixed or as I think most people call it - "roto-rooted". Kind of like an early Christmas present to myself, through my insurance... or something.

First off, let me say that anything a consumer/patient has to do for insurance "pre-authorization" is malarkey. What a waste of time, effort and worry. In this instance, I hadn't received approval for the surgery until the day before I went under. Thank you medical and insurance companies for the extra worry, nice doing business with you.

Now, as we discussed recently regarding my hip surgery, I don't really get too wigged out going in for outpatient surgery (especially for something as "easy" as sinus stuff - Maybe I should write a book of tips for the hospital?). It's like I get to work on my stand-up act (that's never performed) with a new person every 5 minutes or so. I wasn't too worried about this one, and thought the results & removal of sinus infections, would be well-worth the temporary pain. A different sister came up from IL to help me get home from the procedure (thanks BIG, V! I don't think I called you out on social media - my bad - HUGE help... no, I'm not calling her "Big V" either).

[new footies for my collection - not really]

In a nutshell, you get your own private "surgical suite" to get ready in before this surgery. You have to take a series of Affrin in the nose to open 'er up for surgery. It went fine, took about 50 minutes, and then it wasn't too long until they wheeled me back, awake (seems like you get onto the table awake now-a-days). The staff here at MSC was pretty pro, save for maybe the woman that put my IV in. Whatever she decided to do, it left my left hand with a large bruise and sore for days after. Shout-out to the main nurse, Ana, she was great.


Once out of the drug induced sleepy-time, I felt pretty decent (though possibly too loopy to really comment), save for the pain pressure in the nose area. Luckily, I got a "free" ice pack just for my eyes and nose. Amen.


I headed home soon after, had a calzone and watched TV (Thank you FreeForm network). The next day was a bit more stressful, not only did the sister duck out (who wants to sit around with a lump?), the nose started to feel like it was burning inside. I suspect from all the "enhancements" to my nasal passageways. Only one way to put out a nasal fire, sterile saline solution. Tons of it, all the time. It helped, some.



I had a couple Norco to take the edge off on Saturday, and by Sunday, though not sleeping or breathing well, I didn't feel too bad. Over the next couple days it got better. I really wanted to packing out by Tuesday (3.5 days after) and even went in early to do so.

So, when I went in, we went over my CT scans, results and one or two minor issues. He had almost all my questions answered through his normal post-op info.

Since he had not used normal packing material, but used dis-solvable packing, due to a feature of my sinuses, all that was left was to suck out the dis-solvable packing. I mean, "evacuate". Sign me up, I was way ready. In a few moments and about 6 sneezes later, I could smell, taste, and breathe again. It was glorious.


[up my nose with a metal "hose"]

I should feel even better in the next two weeks or so, after using a netty pot daily. In 3 months, I should be totally healed.

If you've been having issues with your sinuses (multiple infections each year), I'd whole-hardheartedly recommend this procedure. Dr. David Upton was very professional as was Madison Surgical Center. Of course, I'm sure there's somebody in your hood to do these too. My other suggestion for this surgery (and LASIK) would be to schedule it for the spring or summer. The natural humidity in the air will help healing.

Last shout-out  - to the brave soul in NC that had this earlier in the year and was a big help in allaying my (many) concerns. Thanks!

Blog Note: this is blog post #1001. Not too shabby after 7 years.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.