September 24, 2012

Rock the Vote, Slut-o?!


I'm not normally hyper-political, but it's hard not to be attuned to campaign messages and propaganda during this time of the year and four-year cycle. As I rode down one of the nicest paths back home from downtown MPLS this weekend (I find my apartment hunt is best by bike as it gives time to look closely at buildings and get contact info if need be), THIS is what I came upon on the nearby train trestle.



As I'll presume you can see, it says, "Vote Sluto". I actually laughed to myself as I rode by from the juvenile humor and only turned back around for a pic once I thought about this more. Was the "artist" actually saying, vote for the candidate named "Sluto" or a more sinister message prodding all sluts to vote? (I'm sure this is an often ignored, yet quite large and untapped voter base... though I have no personal data, of course).

If there was a candidate named Sluto and they did indeed win their election, this could quite possible be the most innovative campaigning the US has ever seen. Stagnant train cars painted with crude messages to prod voters into action. Kudos. And much cheaper compared to traditional methods like those paper signs in the lawn or "TV commercials" (what a waste those are... click!).

But alas, after an exhaustive Google search it does not appear that MN has a local election with a candidate named "Sluto". So, it would appear my first theory is out the window. They really are trying to get the message out - "Vote Slut-o!" But, I really don't understand why they would want sluts to get out an vote.

And as a final affront to my common sense... there are two small words just before the "Vote Slut-o" phrase painted on the train car - it says, "Vote smart." Huh? Wha? That's your best piece of advice in this highly charged election year - "Vote Smart, Vote Slut-o!"

No wonder people stay home.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.