August 14, 2022

Northside Cutlery, Chicago, IL

Some of you, ok, none of you, may recall a story some years back while I was in MN about me having some old scissors from my Grandfather sharpened. I went to a very small mom n' pop store and the product I got back was amazing and still going strong.

Prior to my latest move, I noticed my very first pocketknife, which was a big deal for me as a young boy, was in pretty bad shape. The finish was tarnished and the blade was sharpened by me incorrectly years prior and needed some major TLC to bring it back. 



I was able to handle the finish with a friend's tip to try Flitz (that's really how it's spelled). It worked very well and very easily, making the pocketknife look like new on the handles ("scales") and even the decent part of the blade. 

I attempted to have the blade fully corrected in Madison WI, but to no avail. So, when I made it to Chicago, I sought out a proper spot. I happened to find a well-reviewed place in the North Center neighborhood, called Northside Cutlery

They had such good reviews, website and backstory that I was feeling quite lucky to have stumbled on their store. I went in with full confidence and was surprised not only by their expert level of sharpening skills (mostly for kitchen cutlery), but also their very cool retail storefront.




Great finishes, displays, and product offerings for the home chef. Their labor rates seemed more than fair, especially after getting my lil' knife back. It looks brand new and will safely be put away for many more years, now in fine finish and a new case. 

I wish I had more cutlery to bring in and will be going back whenever I need something sharpened. Thanks again, Northside!




No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.