March 29, 2018

Go West!

No, this won't be a post about the band Go West - I wish! This will be a post about my recent move to the west coast.


I wanted to write this trip recap down before the memories fade. The backdrop is that I was moving from Madison, WI to Morgan Hill, CA. To send my belongings, I used a Pods moving container. For myself, I chose to drive my vehicle along Interstate 80, basically all the way to the destination.

Though I had a slight "detour" the week before this to Minneapolis, I actually started this final leg on Saturday 03/17/18... and it took me almost an entire week to arrive at the final destination.

Day 1 - Madison WI to Glenview IL (2 hours)
Day 2 - Glenview IL to Omaha NE (8 hours)
Day 3 - Omaha NE to Cheyenne WY (5.5 hours)
Day 4 - Cheyenne WY to Salt Lake City UT (6.5 hours)
Day 5 - Salt Lake City UT to Reno/Sparks NV (7.5 hours)
Day 6 - Reno NV to Morgan Hill CA (5 hours)

It was about 34 hours of car time. It included one of the best chicken fried steaks of my life, a couple fun breweries (Accomplice & Wasatch), Western wear shopping (don't ask), lots of IG posts, copious food bars & drinks, almost daily caffeine for the car, and some interesting people.

The most interesting couple was probably the chicken fried steak night in Cheyenne, WY. A gentleman next to me at the bar just started talking and wound up telling me a lot. About his girlfriend (who soon joined), his trucks (that he restores), and his ability to withstand the cold (the most ever being 7 hours at -45F in North Dakota working on a oil rig). He wears little in the way of insulated clothing (fills with sweat) and just seems to be able to handle it. Yikes.

Here are some of the shots taken during the daily driving and nightly stops, in chronological order across the country and about 20 images in all:




























No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.