September 7, 2017

Quinton's Bar & Deli, Iowa City, IA


I've been coming through or driving near Iowa City for about 12 months now, since a job change, and have been told many times that I should stop on the drive here at Quinton's for lunch. They are known for their sandwiches, local brews, and close-to-campus location. I was able to stop in recently for lunch and found just that - the place does seem to be a perfect campus dive-bar, with great food and plenty of beers on tap.


They have a pretty big menu of classic bar apps, burgers and sandwiches (it is right next to the University of Iowa afterall - known your customer)... but they also have curated a selection of sandwiches I can't say I've seen anywhere else. Unique combinations of meats, sauces and toppings keep it interesting, very interesting. Plus, you can get all kinds of different sides with any of the sandwiches (sometimes with a little upcharge).

I was trying to feed a cold, so I went all-in with their Spicy Chicken Philly. It's their normal Chicken Philly (diced chicken breast with grilled onions and peppers), then loaded with jalapenos, and tossed/topped with Buffalo Wing Cream Cheese and Chipotle Mayo. I chose their marble rye to hold it all too.

It was great. Awesome flavors, not too much heat, but enough kick by the end of the sandwich. The sweet potato fries were also worth the $2 upcharge, imo. I washed my selection down with a Left Hand Milk Stout on nitro, which I almost always defer to if I see it on nitro. It didn't disappoint either.


My only knock, and it's minor or more of a pet-peeve, is that I was called "Sir" at least a dozen times by the bartender/waiter. Sure, I get it, I'm not a spring-chicken anymore... but I don't have to be reminded of it every time you speak to me. In fact, I think he was dressed better/older than I was too.

In any event, if you happen to be stuck on the long drive across Iowa on I-80, I think it makes perfect sense to stop at Quinton's for lunch or dinner. I'm not sure I could handle their late-night student crowd anymore, Sir, but maybe one should try that too.

No comments:

transplanted.chicagoan

powered by .mk.